John your tutor has over 40yrs experience as a sculptor and stonemason. Tutoring stone carving workshops for adults and children in England and France.
The Workshops are set up for those wanting to take the time, to situate, learn and find pleasure in discovering ways of expression through stone carving.
Providing starting points, encouraging the development of ideas, knowledge, skills, visual awareness and creative potential.
They are based in Dorset. A region re-known for its beauty and cultural legacy. The workshops are open to complete beginners wishing to try stone carving for the first time. As well as for those with a little experience artistically or manually who would like to push their knowledge and limits further.
Stone Carving for Beginners at Glenthorne Weymouth
Some New Dates for Workshops
As life appears to be returning to some sort of normality I have decided to fix some dates for Summer Stone Carving Workshops. These are of course dependant on how the advice from the government evolves concerning the Covid Virus and potential bookings. Fingers crossed.
- 1st (2 places left.)
- 2nd ( Full.)
- 15th ( 6 places left.)
- 16th ( 7 places left.)
- 29th ( 6 places left.)
- 30th ( 3 places left.)
10.00-4.30. One Day £85
(10% reduction for groups of 3 and above.)
Glenthorne. 15, Old Castle Road. Weymouth. Dorset. DT4 8QB
Spend a day carving Portland Stone in this beautiful venue overlooking Portland Harbour.
- My stone carving courses will give you the opportunity to sculpt a small relief of your own design ( or by using one of my templates ) on a piece of Portland Stone.
- The course is suitable for ages 12+
- Tools and materials are supplied as well as protective safety glasses.
- Appropriate clothing to be worn (i.e. enclosed shoes)
- The stones vary in size but to give you a rough idea here are some sizes. 22 x 20cms, 18 x 22cms.
- If you decide to use your own design please bring images/drawings of different sizes. ( Keep it simple, to begin with.)
e nsurethe quality of the Workshops, classes are limited to eight participants.
- We will be having a break so do bring some lunch. ( Please bring your own refreshments to limit contact.)
- Best to park on the main road as places are limited.
- Reservations are confirmed after contacting me to check availability and payment made by Bank Transfer.
Examples of Templates
“Carving is easy, you just cut down to the skin and stop”.Michaelangelo